THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF BENEATH THE SEA® AND ITS SUPPORTERS offer a variety of scholarship and training grant opportunities for young people interested in exploring and protecting the ocean environment.
Scholarship/Training Grant candidates should carefully read the qualifications applicable to each scholarship before applying.
Scholarships and training grants are posted at BeneaththeSea.us.
Questions can be directed to [email protected].
2023 SCHOLARSHIPS/TRAINING GRANTS GUIDELINES
Scholarships and Training Grants are only open to residents of the United States and its territories.
- Applicants may apply for only one scholarship or training grant each year.
- Applicants must be within the age range for the scholarship or training grant applied for at the time of the application submission.
- Funds are paid directly to the provider of the services/products acquired by the recipient.
- Awards may be considered as taxable income. Beneath the Sea® suggests that you consult with a tax advisor (accountant) to determine how receipt of this award may impact your tax obligation.
- Applicants applying for a scuba certification training grant should be aware that they should have no medical contraindications to scuba diving.
- The application deadline is January 31th, 2023 midnight Eastern Standard Time.
- Use the standard application form (see link below) and submit on or before the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendations are required:
- Obtain two recommendations from persons in your community, i.e., scuba instructors, teachers, employers, mentors, etc.
- Recommendations must arrive by the deadline or your application will be invalidated.
- Give your references enough time to write a recommendation, and follow-up to ensure they have been submitted on or before the deadline.
- Recommendations that are vague and do not give specific examples carry less weight. Provide the references with a copy of the scholarship/training grant description and your completed application form.
- Instructions to be given to your references:
- The reference should send the recommendation as an email or attachment to an email to [email protected].
- The email subject line should state: Recommendation for (the applicant’s name).
- The recommendation must be dated by January 31th, 2023 midnight Eastern Standard Time.
- Incomplete applications (e.g., missing letters of recommendation, applicant’s age is outside the indicated range, etc.) are ineligible.
- Spelling or grammar errors must be avoided. Proof all work, and we suggest you ask someone else to proof it as well.
- Once you submit your application form, you will receive an email with a copy of your application form. Please retain a copy of this form.
- Please direct your questions/inquiries to [email protected].
NOTE: This application form is not to be used for the following Training Grants. See the instructions for these grants included in the Training Grant descriptions at BeneaththeSea.us.
- Open Water Certification Training Grant
- Advanced/Rescue Certification Training Grant
- Jorge Beale Hyperbaric Medicine Training Grant
The Application Deadline has Passed.